Creativity is very personal, and some people may feel limited by the name they receive. Changing your name allows you to get creative and choose something unique that will help you stand out from the crowd, as long as it`s not a name change prohibited by your state. Here are some frequently asked questions about name change. There`s a reason we`re talking about documents before the name change process, and if you`ve ever shown up at the DMV without preparation, you know why. Otherwise, here`s what happens: no one likes to be teased because of a name they didn`t choose themselves. If you legally change your name, you have the option to delete a name that you find embarrassing or that you think just doesn`t suit you. Otherwise, if you are over 18, you must file a complaint to change your name with the probate and family court of the county where you live. You must submit the following: If there are objections to the application, the court will conduct proceedings to hear them. The court can either dismiss the application or issue an order authorizing the name change. If no objection is raised, the court may make a decision without a hearing. The most common reasons for a name change are marriage or divorce. Adoption, as well as the following situations, are also common reasons: To legally change your name, you must file an application with your local high court.

If you are requesting a name change, you must publish your petition and wait at least 30 days before a hearing. Once the court approves your name change application, you must update your name on government-issued ID and other documents. Of course, we are talking about a court, not the DMV, but the principle is the same. Save time and learn about the documents you need before you start. These depend on a) your country of residence and b) the reason for your name change. You get the idea, don`t you? In many cases, the legal process of changing your name might actually be the easy part. Depending on your state, you may need to post a notice regarding your name change request. The court clerk should be able to explain this process, which usually includes an advertisement in the local newspaper. Alternatively, the court can do this for you. If the name change is requested by a person who is incarcerated, on probation or probation, or admitted to the Massachusetts Treatment Center as a sexually dangerous person, you must also submit the quote in the mail: Name changes cost a few hundred dollars and vary by place of filing. If you want to change your legal name, you must initiate legal proceedings.

You are free to use an alias or nickname at any time, but it is not your official name. The reason for your name change will determine the legal process you need to follow. Changing your name after marriage isn`t complicated, but it`s paper-heavy. Here is a checklist to help you streamline the process. Some common reasons for name changes include marriage, divorce, and other significant life changes. Whatever the reason for a change, you will learn how to legally change your name. We help you manage this sometimes complex process. Keep in mind that there are legal differences between states and you should consider talking to a legal aid lawyer. You can change your name at your local probate and family court. If you want to get your maiden name back after the divorce, you can apply for it during the divorce process in most states. The judge can then make an order to reinstate your old name. You will need a copy of the order as proof of the change to update your Social Security card and driver`s license.

Since the United States is a federalist republic, we have two levels of government: federal and state. For most normal things, it`s the states that set the rules — meaning the answers to questions like “How can I legally change my name?” depend on the state you live in. Each state has its own laws and processes for implementing those laws. This could include a motion, a petition to change the name, and other documents to request the change. You may also have to pay a registration fee. If your divorce is already final and did not contain such an order, it may be possible to amend the original order to reflect your desire to change your name, although this varies by state. In this case, you may need to file an application with the court to change your divorce decree. The Registrar will review your application for a change of name and grant your application if the Registrar decides that you have a valid reason for changing your name. Some states require you to appear before a judge for a brief hearing to get your name change approved. It may take several weeks or months to receive your certificate via the name change, again depending on the state. A: It`s often possible to download your state`s name change forms online, although you usually have to print them out and file them in person in local court.

The name change process usually cannot be done entirely online. If you legally change your name through the court, a fee and a notary will likely be required, with a few exceptions for name changes due to marriage, divorce or adoption. If you encounter instances where your old name still exists, you should fix these errors. Adults and children decide to change their names for a variety of reasons. LegalZoom makes it easy to get court approval for your name change. Once issued, you can use your new name for all government and financial documents. Learn more. In general, the six steps to a name change vary from state to state, but the following list is a good place to start. Check with your local court to get all the necessary requirements for a name change in your area. If you need help, a family law lawyer can prepare your petition and answer your questions. Your name change request may be denied (although this probably won`t happen if you follow our advice above).

The two main reasons why a name change application may be refused are: If the name of your choice does not fall into the above categories, double-checking with a lawyer can help ensure that the change is legally valid. Changing your name to match your spouse`s last name is one of the most common reasons people want to change their name. This can help some couples feel like a shared family unit and can simplify future cases that require identification, such as filing taxes together. Don`t worry, this shouldn`t make the name change much more complex. In reality, the process is very similar in most states. Nevertheless, you need to know your state`s rules so that you can follow them to the letter. If the clerk or judge rejects your application for a name change, you will receive a notice of rejection explaining the reason for the decision. The notification must also explain your right to appeal against this decision and the time limit. If you have made a mistake in the process or forgotten a form, you may have the option to modify your submission by filling out the missing documents within a certain time frame. Pay attention to the delay so you don`t miss your window. Once you receive your court order, you will still need to change the legal documents and inform businesses and individuals who should really know your new nickname. Here is a representative sample, but by no means exhaustive: Follow these steps to have your name legally changed by a court.

If you want to change your name because you got married, simply present your marriage certificate to request the change. Once you have your driver`s license or passport in the new name, you can use it to change your name elsewhere. Once you`ve legally changed your name, you should also consider changing your name: Note, however, that there may be certain restrictions that you can change your name, including, but not limited to, the following: Are you considering changing your name? This guide to legally changing your name will help you get started. The clerk of the court may ask you for additional information to support your name change application. If you change your name after a divorce, simply present the certificate of dissolution or decree of divorce to return to your premarital name.